Saturday, May 10, 2008

Peace... Be Still...

I have spent the last hour watching storms rip through B-Town from my western windows. I have also spent a better part of that time calming my youngest, who seems to have inherited an intense fear of storms from my mother. Early on, we prayed that God would make the storms just stop. He can do that, you know, and I'm guessing that would be pretty awesome to behold. I also prayed that He would calm my daughter and help her not be so afraid. She was in my arms at that point, and I was swept back to when she was about 3 years old or so, calming her after a nightmare. The storm kept coming, and from what the meteorologist was saying, we could expect some pretty atrocious weather, including softball-sized hail, before it would clear out. Then he said those in B-Town should take cover, as the storm was fast-approaching our area. Again, my daughter's distress was more than evident. She was panic-stricken. We all prayed again, for those who were experiencing the worst of the storm. Then, Kenzie, prayed something I will never forget, something akin to prayers I've voiced in times of trouble: "God, please take the storm away! I'm so scared! God, can't you see how scared I am?!! Please make it go away!" We were looking out the window immediately following that prayer, and what did we behold? Clouds parting, blue sky and the remnants of a sunset, a storm disintegrating in a snap. Gone. "He heard me, Mom! He made a miracle just for us!" How very true. He did. And left me with the following thought:

There are a lot of storms in life. Some, He brings us through. It might take a while, it might be the most difficult storm for us to weather, but He leads us safely out of it. Others, when He knows it's too much for us to bear, it's just snap! Gone. I have personally experienced the former, and tonight witnessed the latter. I'm not sure which is better, but believe that both are miracles. What amazing power He has.

1 comment:

Alana said...

Susie, I cried when I read this story. I love it!